If I'm ever sued, this site will go up for sale for the amount of damages sought, along with posting any documents I receive. If you think you can copyright a letter you send to me, go for it.
I'm still learning about blog design and I've found a problem when viewing this blog. It does not behave properly in small browser windows and if your display resolution is less than 1280 pixels wide and/or you are viewing the blog in a window less than 980 pixels blog wide, the right side bar is pushed below any visible post. I've searched the web and looked at the code for hours but can't find the problem. My next step, when I get the time, is to recreate the blog with a new template. Advice is appreciated.

Monday, June 15, 2009

ATU Local 1001 - RTD Contract Update


Sorry, there is no update on the contact arbitration between Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 1001 and Denver Regional Transportation District (RTD) - local President Holman Carter insisted on secrecy.

Given that fares account for less than 20% of the RTD operating budget and that the other 80%+ comes from the public trough federal/state funding and an RTD District sales tax, one might think the public, who pays for the system, has a right to be kept informed of how their money is spent but Holman doesn't see it that way.

A little background: the contract between RTD public employees and RTD expired February 28th, 2009. ATU Local 1001 notified the state they intended to strike (they actually didn't, as Holman admitted) and the state barred a strike and ordered binding arbitration, the actual goal.

It's no surprise that Holman and the boys insist on secrecy, cock-a-roachs scramble when you shine a light on them!

I'm still asking about the 2008 $120k ATU Local 1001 donation to Protect Colorado's Future (formed only to defeat 3 "anti-union" ballot proposals) that I, as a member of ATU Local 1001, was never given the opportunity to fight against. Democracy be damned, do what you want with the members money and tell them what a great job you're doing after the fact.

I still have to chuckle at the irony of the situation; ATU Local 1001, representing only the RTD public employees, had no Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA) reporting requirements until they recruited the First Transit (my employer at the time) private employees in July, 2007.

Had the boys not gotten greedy and just left me alone, it would have been a win-win for both of us - I'd still have two years of dues in my pocket and the union would still be free to stay in the dark and leave little cock-a-roach pellets laying around for the members.

Be careful what you wish for - your wish may come true.

No comments:

Post a Comment