If I'm ever sued, this site will go up for sale for the amount of damages sought, along with posting any documents I receive. If you think you can copyright a letter you send to me, go for it.
I'm still learning about blog design and I've found a problem when viewing this blog. It does not behave properly in small browser windows and if your display resolution is less than 1280 pixels wide and/or you are viewing the blog in a window less than 980 pixels blog wide, the right side bar is pushed below any visible post. I've searched the web and looked at the code for hours but can't find the problem. My next step, when I get the time, is to recreate the blog with a new template. Advice is appreciated.

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore"

The line, of course, is from the diatribe delivered by anchor Howard Beale (Peter Finch) in the 1976 film "Network". Replace the bogeyman reference to the Russians with "terrorist", add the internet and the Beale rant seems amazingly prophetic:

"I don't have to tell you things are bad. Everybody knows things are bad. It's a depression. Everybody's out of work or scared of losing their job. The dollar buys a nickel's worth; banks are going bust; shopkeepers keep a gun under the counter; punks are running wild in the street, and there's nobody anywhere who seems to know what to do, and there's no end to it.

We know the air is unfit to breathe and our food is unfit to eat. And we sit watching our TVs while some local newscaster tells us that today we had fifteen homicides and sixty-three violent crimes, as if that's the way it's supposed to be!

We all know things are bad -- worse than bad -- they're crazy.

It's like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don't go out any more. We sit in the house, and slowly the world we're living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, "Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials, and I won't say anything. Just leave us alone."

Well, I'm not going to leave you alone. I want you to get mad!

I don't want you to protest. I don't want you to riot. I don't want you to write to your Congressman, because I wouldn't know what to tell you to write. I don't know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street.

All I know is that first, you've got to get mad.

You've gotta say, "I'm a human being, goddammit! My life has value!"

So, I want you to get up now. I want all of you to get up out of your chairs. I want you to get up right now and go to the window, open it, and stick your head out and yell,

"I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

Yesterday, someone left a comment that referred to me as a Nazi and I don't know whether to laugh or cry at the utter stupidity of the comparison. I would suggest something more original next time, perhaps "contemptible, unholy spawn of the devil" rather than Adolf Hitler. At least someone was angry enough to leave a comment so I don't consider the day wasted.

As a side note, I was able to visit Dachau some 42 years ago and it was an eerie place at best. I might suggest actually reading the Holocaust accounts and at least looking at pictures of Dachau, Auschwitz, Bergen-Belsen, Buchenwald, etal. before throwing around terms like Nazi.

Based on the post that was commented on, I'd suspect that the anonymous poster was a UFCW Local 7 union toady and so, once more, I'll state: First Transit Employee Rights Blog is not anti union, anti Democrat government nor is it pro big business. I'm scared and and I don't know what to do other than write about something I believe, based on personal experience, is a little piece of the problem. Pissing into the wind? Perhaps, but I have to do something.

I'm not an economist and I don't know what all the indicators mean or if we're in a recession, depression, the beginning of a recovery or whatever. I do know that there are a lot of good hard working Americans families in dire straights and that government, the labor movement and business are failing those workers. Common sense tells me that the pie is only so big and too many greedy special interest want it all for themselves; the workers be damned!

I'm getting old and I'll be fine but what about my daughter, grandkids and the rest of the current and future generations? The America I love and went to war for is changing in ways I hate to the very core of my existance and I'll protest those changes as long as I can draw a breath.

You've gotta say, "I'm a human being, goddammit! My life has value!"

No comments:

Post a Comment