If I'm ever sued, this site will go up for sale for the amount of damages sought, along with posting any documents I receive. If you think you can copyright a letter you send to me, go for it.
I'm still learning about blog design and I've found a problem when viewing this blog. It does not behave properly in small browser windows and if your display resolution is less than 1280 pixels wide and/or you are viewing the blog in a window less than 980 pixels blog wide, the right side bar is pushed below any visible post. I've searched the web and looked at the code for hours but can't find the problem. My next step, when I get the time, is to recreate the blog with a new template. Advice is appreciated.

Thursday, June 11, 2009

ATU Local 1001 - Who Are you Lying to Now?

The devil is in the details but first:

A warm hello to my buddies at ATU Local 1001 in Westminster, Colorado. Wishing Holman, Howard, Julio, Rudy, and especially lawyer Jones, a wonderful day!

I suspect that I'm just not smart enough to understand but perhaps one of the officers or members can explain it to me (or perhaps the members would like an explanation).

I look at the Local 1001 2008 LM-2 and I can see that the union had 2,163 members and that the members paid $1,002,649 in dues for 2008. I trust and believe the LM-2 (no union has ever lied) and understand so far.

I get confused when I look at the Colorado Department of Labor and Employment Order, dated February 24th, 2009 and see the following under Finding of Fact:

3. RTD employs approximately 2,520 employees, about 1,907 of which are represented by ATU

Bear with me, here's part of my confusion: If 1,907 of the members are RTD employees, that only leaves 256 employed by First Transit, Laidlaw and Veolia. The numbers seem a little odd but I'm getting old and perhaps senile - that could be the answer.

It really blows my mind when I go to the Local 1001 "official" website and learn:

It (RTD) has more than 1,000 buses in its fleet, leasing about 400 to private carriers, and in 2006 had an annual operating budget of $393,228,967.

400 buses and 256 drivers? Geez, had I known that, I'd have asked to take mine home every night and not had to drive into Longmont every day. Think how much money and wear & tear I'd have saved.

Finally, I decided to check with RTD and came up with another set of numbers:

Buses owned and operated by RTD - 621
Owned by RTD & leased to subcontractors - 439
Budgeted number of employees - 2526
Salaried employees - 623
Represented employees - 1903 (amazing, numbers that match!)
Subcontractor employees - 1,593

To be fair, not all of those 1,593 are represented by ATU Local 1001 but the number is a hell of a lot higher than the 256 claimed on the 2008 LM-2. I'd suggest the "I'm Stupid & Incompetent" defense if this issue ever comes up (as it may, refer to LM-2 False or Misleading statements), it's worked before.

No comments:

Post a Comment