If I'm ever sued, this site will go up for sale for the amount of damages sought, along with posting any documents I receive. If you think you can copyright a letter you send to me, go for it.
I'm still learning about blog design and I've found a problem when viewing this blog. It does not behave properly in small browser windows and if your display resolution is less than 1280 pixels wide and/or you are viewing the blog in a window less than 980 pixels blog wide, the right side bar is pushed below any visible post. I've searched the web and looked at the code for hours but can't find the problem. My next step, when I get the time, is to recreate the blog with a new template. Advice is appreciated.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Grip of the Mob Is Gone in This Race, a Union Says



This post, of course, is a look at the infamous Amalgamated Transit Union (ATU) Local 1181 located in Ozone Park, N.Y. Federal prosecutors claimed that the LU was controlled by the Genovese crime family for at least 30 years before the "clean-up" and  ATU International finally putting trustees in charge on November 11th, 2006.

The International trustees ran Local 1181 from then until the trusteeship officially ended Friday, April 3rd, 2009, after the election of new local bosses in March.




Needless to say, elections have winners and losers and someone is going to be unhappy:


I was able to collect disclosure information going back to 2000 so you can look at Local 1181 LM-2's for the last years of mob control and the LM-2's through June 30th, 2008 when ATU International had control.

I'm not sure what disclosure is required now that the trusteeship has ended. I belonged to a ATU LU in trusteeship, Local 1755, but we voted to join Local 1001 when the Trusteeship ended on June 30th, 2008. Local 1755 had to file a terminal LM-2 and Local 1001 had to start filing LM-2's as of July 1st, 2008 because it now had both public and private employee members. I suspect that Local 1181 will be required (assuming that the Obama administration doesn't gut LMRDA) to file it's normal 2009 LM-2 after the local's fiscal year ends June 30th, 2009; perhaps showing the change from International to Local control as a comment. Corrections to my assumption welcome!

I am curious as to why it appears that ATU International took so long to act:


I have my own ongoing disclosure battle with ATU Local 1001 and I've written to President George several time asking for help. When I began, I naively thought that ATU International actually monitored the LU's and was concerned with corruption and the individual members money. I've now come to realize that my lone voice has about as much effect as a fart in a hurricane.

For those that have the time and interest, here are the Local 1181 LM-2's from 2000 through 2008:


Here is some more background information for anyone interested: 









I'll reserve any farther thought and comment until a later date and perhaps share my own experience in attempting to force LU disclosure.

No comments:

Post a Comment