If I'm ever sued, this site will go up for sale for the amount of damages sought, along with posting any documents I receive. If you think you can copyright a letter you send to me, go for it.
I'm still learning about blog design and I've found a problem when viewing this blog. It does not behave properly in small browser windows and if your display resolution is less than 1280 pixels wide and/or you are viewing the blog in a window less than 980 pixels blog wide, the right side bar is pushed below any visible post. I've searched the web and looked at the code for hours but can't find the problem. My next step, when I get the time, is to recreate the blog with a new template. Advice is appreciated.

Friday, May 29, 2009

SIGH - I LOST!!!


For anyone who remembers, I filed a National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) "failure to represent" complaint against my one-time union, Amalgamated Transit Union local 1001. Late yesterday afternoon, I was notified that my complaint did not rise to the level needed for the NLRB to pursue an action under the National Labor Relations Act (NLRA). 

Even though I lost, it was a pleasure to deal with the dedicated government employees in the Denver office of the NLRB and I have informed them that I will withdraw my complaint and not appeal the decision.

I am not surprised by the decision, the NLRA was never meant to protect a member from ignorance and incompetence; that's the individual member's job and the reason for elections, scheduled to elect officers or decertification. The next scheduled election of officers is in December, 2010 but a decertification election could be scheduled if 30% of the members, of ANY bargaining unit (other than RTD, different rules), decided they no longer wanted to belong to the union. The actual decertification is more difficult - it takes a majority vote of all the members in the bargaining unit, not just voting members.

Gracious in victory or defeat, I have already sent lawyer Jones (William B. Jones - 1001 staff attorney) my congratulatory email and I apologize to the members for any money I may have cost them.

So, round 1 to ATU Local 1001. Down but not out, I'm still following the rules and trying to get the local to tell me how they spent my money. For whatever reason, they refuse to tell me and my appeals to ATU International have fallen on deaf ears. Is someone trying to hide something?

My countdown gadget broke and I had to remove it but the four months specified in the Labor-Management Reporting and Disclosure Act (LMRDA) began a couple of months ago - two to go.

Animation courtesy of Gifs.net

No comments:

Post a Comment