If I'm ever sued, this site will go up for sale for the amount of damages sought, along with posting any documents I receive. If you think you can copyright a letter you send to me, go for it.
I'm still learning about blog design and I've found a problem when viewing this blog. It does not behave properly in small browser windows and if your display resolution is less than 1280 pixels wide and/or you are viewing the blog in a window less than 980 pixels blog wide, the right side bar is pushed below any visible post. I've searched the web and looked at the code for hours but can't find the problem. My next step, when I get the time, is to recreate the blog with a new template. Advice is appreciated.

Thursday, April 23, 2009

ATU Local 1001 Legal Representation

Despite any rumors to the contrary, William B. Jones is a licenced Colorado attorney and has been since 1983.

The email did make me think about about the relationship between Lawyer Jones and ATU Local 1001. I was aware that a Bill Jones had been associated with the local for a lot of years just from quotes that had appeared in the local papers and that the local 2007 LM-2 listed him as a employee, something I found a little odd. Now I find out ATU Local 1001 is his listed employer with the Colorado Supreme Court. Hmmmm.

I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the relationship but I find it odd. Why does the local need a staff attorney? As an employee, do the members also pay for his benefits? Retirement? Vacation? I have no idea.

I live in a little town north of Denver with a MUCH larger budget than the local and they have no staff attorney, only a firm that represents the city in legal matters. I would think that even a small city would have more legal issues than a union local and if they find it less expensive to "contract for service", why would that not also apply to the local? 

If I were a local officer, liability issues alone would make me step back and reevaluate whether I wanted an employee or contract relationship with an attorney. Just suppose that Mr. Jones were sued for Professional Malpractice and lost; would the union members would take the hit and not a law firm or Mr. Jones? I know that the ATU Constitution requires that the officers be indemnified to some extent but how about employees? Just food for thought.




No comments:

Post a Comment