If I'm ever sued, this site will go up for sale for the amount of damages sought, along with posting any documents I receive. If you think you can copyright a letter you send to me, go for it.
I'm still learning about blog design and I've found a problem when viewing this blog. It does not behave properly in small browser windows and if your display resolution is less than 1280 pixels wide and/or you are viewing the blog in a window less than 980 pixels blog wide, the right side bar is pushed below any visible post. I've searched the web and looked at the code for hours but can't find the problem. My next step, when I get the time, is to recreate the blog with a new template. Advice is appreciated.

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

A Suggestion to ATU

I know I've been critical of  Local 1001 but never let it be said I haven't been thinking about a solution.

I am not a union hater because I think that in a lot of cases, a union helps improve the lot of the worker and I'm all for that. I've already explained that I have worked companies where unions were not needed or wanted because of the corporate culture. I see the need for unions when you're dealing with transportation, manufacturing, service, etc., companies. I also have some understanding of the economic reasoning for the differences in the culture. All (except non-profit) companies exist to make a profit. At Honeywell, for example, they'd hire a "fresh-out" (novice right out of college) thinking that it might take 1-2 years of training/experience before the employee actually started contributing something to the bottom line. First Transit gives you about 8 weeks of training and  expects an immediate revenue return. Nothing wrong with that, the business model is totally different.

Hopefully everyone is aware that LMRDA, and to a somewhat lessor extent NLRA, were passed to protect union members and provide some transparency to the folks who actually pay the bills. To quote Tom again, "Cockroaches scramble when you turn on the lights". So why, I have to ask, do I have so much trouble getting information I'm (and every other member) entilted to? 

(c) Every labor organization required to submit a report under this title shall make available the information required to be contained in such report to all of its members, and every such labor organization and its officers shall be under a duty enforceable at the suit of any member of such organization in any State court of competent jurisdiction or in the district court of the United States for the district in which such labor organization maintains its principal office, to permit such member for just cause to examine any books, records, and accounts necessary to verify such report. The court in such action may, in its discretion, in addition to any judgment awarded to the plaintiff or plaintiffs, allow a reasonable attorney's fee to be paid by the defendant, and costs of the action.

I can't see where you need a law degree to understand the above paragraph out of LMRDA.

History, however, may provide some answers and suggest the solution. Local 1001 had only public sector employees prior to July 1st, 2007 and was not covered by LMRDA. Human nature being what it is, I can see the problem from the local's standpoint. I suspect no one realized the potential effects when ATU started courting the sub-contractor employees. Perhaps The Law of Unintended Consequences claimed another victim.

My suggestion is pretty simple. Offer the private employee members the opportunity to form their own local or join another union (Teamsters perhaps) or opt out totally. If the affected membership voted to do so, Local 1001 could then go back to the good old days before LMRDA and everyone could live happily ever after.

I'm curious so I've posted a new poll question. I am no longer a member (but I was :-) so I'll not be voting and hopefully no one will vote twice (no Chicago style "vote early and often") and perhaps  only the sub-contractor employees will vote. No stacking by RTD members. Also, unlike what card check will bring, your vote is secret!


No comments:

Post a Comment