If I'm ever sued, this site will go up for sale for the amount of damages sought, along with posting any documents I receive. If you think you can copyright a letter you send to me, go for it.
I'm still learning about blog design and I've found a problem when viewing this blog. It does not behave properly in small browser windows and if your display resolution is less than 1280 pixels wide and/or you are viewing the blog in a window less than 980 pixels blog wide, the right side bar is pushed below any visible post. I've searched the web and looked at the code for hours but can't find the problem. My next step, when I get the time, is to recreate the blog with a new template. Advice is appreciated.

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Equal Pay For Equal Work?

It's part of a long-term strategy by ATU to unify the workers under one umbrella, after years of fighting state-mandated privatization of half of RTD's bus service. ATU plans to work on raising pay scales and benefits at the private companies, which, in turn, would strengthen its position at RTD.

"They start at lower wages and top out at lower wages than we do, and their benefits are less," said Holman Carter, president of Local 1001. "It benefits both us and those contract workers to work together."

Dan Sundquist, a Local 1001 organizer, said privatization "put a wall up between RTD and the private drivers" even though they do the same work.

"Frankly, none of us are benefiting from a division," he said. "We see an opportunity to come together."

July 21, 2007
Kevin Flynn

I was searching for my morning news fix and I came across the July 21st, 2007, article published in the now defunct Rocky Mountain News. It reminded me that I had an "post this" on my todo list.

So what was the bus driver starting pay on January 1st, 2009, for each of the four bargaining units? 

RTD $15.49 per hour

First Transit $11.85 per  hour

Veolia $11 -$12 per hour
 Ad

Laidlaw $12.25
March 31st, 2009, Ad
BUS DRIVERS! Drivers start at $12.25/hr and earn $12.50/hr after introductory period. No experience required! We offer: Paid Training Great Benefits F/T Opportunities Applicants...

I agree with you Mr. Carter, it could benefit both the RTD and contractor employees if we all worked together. So, what happened? I'm waiting on a copy of the CBA ratified on January 10th, 2009, but I've been told that the starting pay at First Transit went up from $11.85 to $12.03 an hour. If that's incorrect, I'll repost this with the correct totals.

First Transit now has an agreement for the next three years, the new RTD CBA is in negotiation and according to the local's website, the local is also negotiating CBAs for Laidlaw and Veolia. Good luck folks!

First Transit could have been a "test case" as the first CBA after all drivers were members of ATU Local 1001. The CBA ran out November 30th, 2008 but what did the local do? 

Postphone negotiation until 2009

The RTD bargaining unit was next and the local filed a "Intent to strike". I agree that some of the issues are different but Mr. Carter, your words were: "It benefits both us and those contract workers to work togather" I'm sorry, I don't see a few cents an hour a major benefit.

To the drivers at Laidlaw and Veolia: I wish you all the luck in the world. You were non-union prior to voting to join ATU Local 1001 and I'm pretty certain that there organizers at your shop on a regular basis. I was naive and didn't really think about when they were courting First Transit but someone has to pay (pretty well it turn out) those folks when they're out visiting.

Now you're members and you've seen what First Transit got for being members of the local. I hope your next raise will at least cover your union dues.


No comments:

Post a Comment