If I'm ever sued, this site will go up for sale for the amount of damages sought, along with posting any documents I receive. If you think you can copyright a letter you send to me, go for it.
I'm still learning about blog design and I've found a problem when viewing this blog. It does not behave properly in small browser windows and if your display resolution is less than 1280 pixels wide and/or you are viewing the blog in a window less than 980 pixels blog wide, the right side bar is pushed below any visible post. I've searched the web and looked at the code for hours but can't find the problem. My next step, when I get the time, is to recreate the blog with a new template. Advice is appreciated.

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Update - Colorado HB09-1076

Colorado is one of only 4 states that still has a offset rule in the Unemployment Benefits law. The effect is that anyone who is drawing certain benefits, such as Social Security early retirement in my case, has their unemployment benefits reduced $1 for every $2 they receive in benefits. I lose over $700 a month (Is nothing sacred? Even my retirement is public knowledge :-)

HB09-1076 does away with the offset for these and some other monies and should be passed. The bill passed the Colorado House in February and seems to be stuck in the Senate Appropriations Committee. It's on the calender for this Friday, April 24th and I'd like to urge all Colorado residents to email (or go in  person) the committee members and ask them to send it to the full Senate for a vote. This session is over May 6th so there's not a lot of time left

The members of the Senate Appropriations Committee are:

Bob Bacon bob.bacon.senate@state.co.us
Ted Harvey ted.harvey.senate@state.co.us
Mary Hodge mary.hodge.senate@state.co.us
Moe Keller moe.keller.senate@state.co.us
Keith King keith@keithking.org
Mike Kopp mike.kopp.senate@state.co.us
Paula Sandoval nwden34@yahoo.com
Abel Tapia abel.tapia.senate@state.co.us
Al White al.white.senate@state.co.us
Suzanne Williams suzanne.williams.senate@state.co.us

You may be telling yourself that the current law is fair but I ask you to consider that I earned every penny of my early retirement and Unemployment Benefits. I paid into the system for over 40 years and hadn't planned on drawing anything until I was 66. First Transit fired me after I got sick and I am entitled to Unemployment Benefits because I lost my job through no fault of my own. My Social Security retirement is based on all 42 years of employment and Unemployment on the 2 years I worked for First Transit.

Unemployment is not a "needs" bases benefit but is intended to replace a part of the lost wage. Did I lose any less when I was fired than someone else making the same as I made? Let me use an analogy: Suppose Bob and Mary both work and each makes about $150k a year. Mary gets laid off. Should her Unemployment be reduced because husband Bob still makes his $150k? 

Help move Colorado into the 21st Century and urge passage of HB09-1076. That would leave only 3 states with this archaic law.



No comments:

Post a Comment