If I'm ever sued, this site will go up for sale for the amount of damages sought, along with posting any documents I receive. If you think you can copyright a letter you send to me, go for it.
I'm still learning about blog design and I've found a problem when viewing this blog. It does not behave properly in small browser windows and if your display resolution is less than 1280 pixels wide and/or you are viewing the blog in a window less than 980 pixels blog wide, the right side bar is pushed below any visible post. I've searched the web and looked at the code for hours but can't find the problem. My next step, when I get the time, is to recreate the blog with a new template. Advice is appreciated.

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

First Transit As a Leading Provider

"First Transit is a leading provider of passenger transportation contract and management services in the United States, providing operation, management and consulting for 235 locations in 41 US states and Puerto Rico for transit authorities, state departments of transportation, federal agencies, municipal organizations, and private companies; our 13,000 dedicated transit professionals operate and maintain over 6,700 vehicles that cover more than 260 million annual fleet miles.  First Transit carries around 150 million passengers each year."
First Transit Website

I had a conversation with Howard a while back and I attempted to explain to him that I never make threats but I will do whatever I think is necessary as long as it's legal. Then I'll tell you what I did because I have nothing to hide. 

I'd first like to thank whoever at First Transit  is responsible for posting the information about First Transit, it makes my job much easier. My only criticism might be in the definition of "dedicated transit professionals". I went on the seniority list December 31, 2006 and I was about number 100. I was fired on January 26th, 2009 and I was somewhere around 40. I didn't pay a lot of attention so corrections are welcome.

I'd question the "dedicated" part when I'm able to advance 60 (out of 100) spots in 2 years and 27 days. Urban myth has it that Roger once made the statement to a trainee class that he "had already fired 300 drivers and if they (the trainees) screwed up, they'd be next". It doesn't look to me that the company wants, much less expects, dedicated employees.

First Transit Denver/Longmont had a mandatory overtime policy in effect from May, 2006 until when, June, 2008? My thought is that the lousy economy is the predominate factor in maintaining staffing levels at or near 100%. I'm looking for a job and I can tell you, it's tough out there! Just look at the unemployment rate and check out the newspaper help wanted ads. I certainly fault no one for  keeping a job if they have one.

The economy is cyclic and as things get better, I predict the retention rate at First Transit will again go down as it always appears to have done. Once again the employees can look forward to 60 hour weeks, 8 hours between shifts, calls begging you to fill in for some one and all the other problems that go with being short-handed.

I've already started, and I 'd guess it will take me it will take me another sixty days of my spare time, to write the 500 to 1000 letters and emails relating my personal thoughts about the working conditions I experienced at First Transit. I have no idea how many of my letters will get read or published so I can't even begin to predict how the public will react. I've been told that a 2% or 3% response in a Mass Marketing campaign is acceptable. A plus is that First Transit, through the Internet, is kind enough to provide me with a specifically targeted mailing list. 

God Bless America and the First Amendment!


ts of transportation, federal agencies, municipal organizations, and private companies; our 13,000 dedicated transit professionals operate and maintain over 6,700 vehicles that cover more than 260 million annual fleet miles.  First Transit carries around 150 million passengers each year.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment