If I'm ever sued, this site will go up for sale for the amount of damages sought, along with posting any documents I receive. If you think you can copyright a letter you send to me, go for it.
I'm still learning about blog design and I've found a problem when viewing this blog. It does not behave properly in small browser windows and if your display resolution is less than 1280 pixels wide and/or you are viewing the blog in a window less than 980 pixels blog wide, the right side bar is pushed below any visible post. I've searched the web and looked at the code for hours but can't find the problem. My next step, when I get the time, is to recreate the blog with a new template. Advice is appreciated.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Still Waiting!

Why is it so difficult to get information from ATU Local 1001? Please read LMRDA carefully and at least explain to me why I don't have the right to a copy of the CBA and an explanation of the local's finances? The law hasn't changed since the first time I asked. Do I need to post the law and perhaps explain it point by point? Somebody might think the local is trying to hide something!

I have been informed that I made a mistake when I wrote about the new CBA and the new pay at First Transit. If I did, I apologize. I have to ask though, how difficult would it have been to send me a copy, as I've asked, when it came back from the printers? Perhaps an officer or office employee could have taken 5 minutes or so to drop a copy in the mail. Just a suggestion.

I have a copy of the local's by-laws and it's 2007 LM-2 in front of me so if anyone doubts my accuracy, please take a look for yourself. Links are posted and I'll help anyone who need it. The information is for six months, July 1st, 2007 through December 31st, 2007. I'll ask the questions again: 

  • Where is the $14,920 that was in the Local 1755 coffers when the doors were closed in 2007?
  • Why is Ms. Yvette J. Salazar listed as a Local 1001 "Past Business Agent" and why was she paid $4536 in 2007? I understand that  she was a trustee of Local 1755 but when did the members ever elect her to any office in Local 1001?
  • What did employee Daniel Sanquist do to earn $15,296?
I'll make a couple of assumptions (to make the math a little simpler). First, I'll assume that the "top operator rate" (hourly base rate for all officers) was $19.50 per hour and that an officer is entitled to overtime for every hour over 176 hours per month. I think that's pretty generous but if anyone feels I've made a mistake, let me know. I'll also disregard allowances, expenses and benefits because I don't have enough information to even begin to guess what that cost the members.

  • Holman Carter, salary of $30,066. The by-laws state that the President and Business Agent is paid at 260 hours per month. Based on my assumptions, I come up with a possible salary of $35,334, so Mr. Carter saved the members almost $5000 dollars. I seriously mean it when I say "Well done, Sir". I've never met Mr. Carter but everything I've heard and read lead me to believe he's a pretty good guy. However, he's the President of Local 1001 and the buck has to stop somewhere.
  • Howard Alton, salary of $17,537. The by-laws state that the Vice-President is a part-time position and paid for 25 hours per month which is $2925, so the members seem to lose about $14,600. Based on 25 hours per month for 6 months that comes out to $119.91 per hour. I always liked Howard but Sir, you lied to me! You told me you'd take my concerns to the EB and you didn't. Shame on you! I still have to ask how you got to be the Assistant Business Agent for ATU Local 1001. I sure don't remember that election.
  • Julio Rivera, salary of $29,477. The by-laws state that the Financial Secretary Treasurer and Assistant Business Agent be paid for 220 hours per month. I figure it at $28,314. Only a grand difference, not too bad (of course, I'd take an extra $1,000 :-)
  • Rudy Trujillo, salary of $26,798. The by-laws state that the Recording Secretary and Correspondent be paid for 203.5 per month. Looks like $25,418 so we lose another $1300.
The by-laws specify that all Chief Stewards be paid at 25 hours per month which comes out to $2925 (150 hours)  for six months. Here's what the Chief Stewards were paid for the six months in 2007:

  • Anthony Hauck - $5,275. $35 an hour for 150 hours.
  • Angelo Martinez - $3,643. $24 an hour for 150 hours.
  • Dustin Marinez - $4,137. $28 an hour for 150 hours
  • Harlan Parran - $3,386. $23 an hour for 150 hours.
  • Todd Platten - $8,161. $54 an hour for 150 hours (first place, congratulations)
  • Daniel Delin - $3,804. $25 per hour for 150 hours.
  • William Fuson - $5,644. $38 per hour for 150 hours.
  • Michael Harvey -$4,765. $32 per hour for 150 hours.
  • David Foltz & Yogi Williams - $3214 combined. $21 per hour for 150 hours. Pretty close to $19.50 per hour.
All Chief Stewards do the same job and are paid the same rate and number of hours under the by-laws. Why the big differences? I think it's also interesting to note that the Stewards for First Transit are paid considerably less (but still more that the by-laws allow) than Stewards at RTD. Why? 

I've only met Julio and Rudy one time but I wasn't impressed. I suppose I can understand why neither was familiar with FMLA or why I contend FMLA is paid leave at First Transit. It took me a lot of hours of research to understand it myself and perhaps I present unusual problems. If they don't understand a legal issue, ask the local's General Counsel, Bill Jones. That's his job and you paid him $42,438 for the last 6 months of 2007. Shame on both of them for thinking you actually understand what had happened. I state again: If you have 30 years in the business, you've had the opportunity to harm a lot of people. Not a record I'd be proud of.

Here are the totals that the members paid officers and employees for the last six months of 2007:

Officer Salaries $150,443, Officer Allowances $3,640, Expenses 17,103, Total 171,186
Employee Wages $82,621, Expenses $1,200, "Other Disbursements" $5,585, Total $89,406

What is an "Other Disbursement"? Did it really cost $260,592 ($521,000 a year) to run a 2,025 member local? That's $514 per year per employee just for salaries and expenses. Seems a little high to me, I'll do some checking.

The bottom line seems to be that rules are rules are rules are rules EXCEPT the local and company are exempted. I've dealt with that attitude all my life and this time, I'm trying to do something about it. I hold First Transit and ATU Local 1001 to the same standard you always expected of me. Fair is fair!

I again offer an open forum to anyone who feels I'm inaccurate or unfair in any way. If you'd have done your jobs the right way, I'd have nothing to question or criticize.









No comments:

Post a Comment